Cares Day – Scalable Volunteerism Event Planning & Execution
7-Eleven’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) team wanted to develop a volunteer program for its corporate employees that would not only serve the DFW area, but also build comradery during the volunteer outing. For help with the planning, logistics and communication, it turned to HCK2.
Because 7-Eleven has thousands of employees at its Dallas headquarters, HCK2 was challenged to create a program that would allow as many employees as possible to volunteer without the event turning into a logistical nightmare. 7-Eleven also needed to ensure that employees weren’t taken away from the office for too long and cause operational disruption.
HCK2 worked with 7-Eleven to select a day in April that didn’t conflict with standing board meetings or overlap with other employee obligations. Once the day was selected, HCK2 worked with the organization VolunteerNow to source nonprofits that could accommodate groups of 25-100 on the selected day. HCK2 managed the event program and logistics, including:
- Helping to select nonprofits
- Building the registration portal
- Creating pop-up banners, digital signage, nametags, reusable bags, table tents, photo booth backdrops, desk drop cards and other collateral
- Drafting email communication to boost registrationCoordinating transportation for employees
- Working with the 7-Eleven merchandise team to order food/drinks for breakfast, lunch and happy hour
- Drafting remarks for 7-Eleven leadership
- Compiling result stats from nonprofit worksites
Multi-screen Lobby Monitor Graphic
In one day, nearly 500 7-Eleven employees donated a total of 1,165 hours to help seven worthy charities. They provided enthusiastic feedback about the event and, as a result, the program was expanded into a twice-a-year initiative.